16 September 2010

"You are a pumpkin!"


Today I was studying for tomorrow Latin test. Suddenly I remembered I read a book that talks about how ancient Roman people express rudeness to each other. Nowadays people may use the f-word, and for Hong Kong people there are hundreds of creative sayings to curse each other. Nevertheless in ancient time, one obviously rude thing to do is to call someone a vegetable.

"You are a pumpkin!"
"You are a mushroom!"

These are examples of being rude to somebody. They are rude because they are comparing a person to a plant that can't think - the ancient Romans believed.

Then I remembered Andre told me that one of the worst thing you can say to a Brazilian, is not a swear word, but "Your mum is an Argentinian!" Well, maybe telling some Chinese "Your mum is a Japanese!" would have similar effect.

"You are a pumpkin." Such a nice and intelligent way to insult people, see you do not need any swearing to achieve that.

Since I dislike egg plant more, guess I would say "You are an egg plant!" instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment