23 April 2008

Visceral

I went to Philosophy of Arts tutorial today. We were talking about Baugh's and Davies' views on Rock VS Classical music. Baugh phrased "the material or 'visceral' properties of rock", which I found it very difficult to understand.  What does "visceral properties of rock" means? What "visceral" means? Here's what Dictionary.com says:

vis·cer·al Audio Help /ˈvɪsərəl/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[vis-er-uhl] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–adjective

  1. of or pertaining to the viscera.
  2. affecting the viscera.
  3. of the nature of or resembling viscera.
  4. characterized by or proceeding from instinct rather than intellect: a visceral reaction.
  5. characterized by or dealing with coarse or base emotions; earthy; crude: a visceral literary style.

These definitions are not good enough for me to understand when I have to tide this word to rock music. I still don't understand.

In the tutorial, the tutor asked us to think of some non-visceral rock music examples. Since I don't even know what it means by "visceral", of course I cannot give any example of "non-visceral". Anyway, Radiohead came out from someone's lips.

So I went onto YouTube to do my listening research. After listening to Creep, No Surprises, Karma Police, Fake Plastic Trees, Street Spirit, Just, Weird Fishes/Arpeggi, and You, I think I have a little bit of idea what "visceral/non-visceral" means. Hmm... I like non-visceral music.

No comments:

Post a Comment