29 July 2009

Zhang Ke Jia’s 24 City (2008)

24city

It wasn’t in my plan to watch this movie, but someone decided to do something big about Love and Death, so I got the ticket. This was my fourth movie of this year NZFF. Unexpectedly Ivy and Ken were there as well – though think about it, it should be expected – it’s a Chinese movie, and Ivy is a Chinese, that loves movies. Apparently she has watched quite a number of films from this director. She mentioned and discussed quite a few to me before we entered the theatre.

The stories were very interesting. The only problem I have with films like this one was: it’s a film, but the idea was to be like… real. So my mind was juggling between the ways I should perceive the stories. One moment my mind says “oh it’s so touching/interesting/sad/funny”, the other moment it says “it’s not true although it sounds true”. At the end of the day it IS a movie, it’s just a movie in the form of a piles of interviews. People minds sometimes stuck with the idea of “interviews”, and struggle to get out of the “received, understand and believe” paradigm.

You know what, that’s kind of saying the movie has done a really good job. Why am I saying that? Watch Atonement. At the end of the movie the old Briony was being interviewed, and I clearly perceiving it as “in a movie” – never feel like “reality out of a movie”. Hey I am not saying Atonement was not a good movie, I am saying “it’s just a movie”.

Believe it or not, the only part in 24 City I dislike, was the last part, ya, the part of 趙濤. I know, I know, she has been in quite a number of films of this director. I know, I know, she’s quite famous. I just don’t like her acting. All other stories are good, really really good.

By the way, Ivy, did this remind you 24 City when we saw it in our first lecture?

No comments:

Post a Comment