10 July 2009

Jane Campion’s Bright Star (2009)

bright_star10 bright_star07

Went to see Bright Star last night. Civic theatre was almost full – actually I think it’s full, but for some strange reason, just the one seat next to me was empty. The lady on the other side of this empty seat put all her belongings on the seat, seems to me she already knew it’s empty. So maybe it’s one of her friend not coming.

Which was cool for me.

I have to admit that I didn’t have the right mentality to watch a movie due to something happened earlier the day, unexpectedly. That ruined a little bit of the movie. It would have been better if I was worry-free. Not the movie’s fault. I would love to see it again when it formally release in New Zealand.

So let’s talk about the movie after this overly extended prologue of me.

The only reason I had in mind that made me bought the Bright Star ticket was Jane Campion. I honestly didn’t know what’s the movie is about until a few days before yesterday. Once I knew I looked up a little bit about John Keats, this young, short life, romantic poet. So I have done my minimal preparation before I enter the theatre.

Jane Campion didn’t fail me, it is a very beautiful piece of art.  Colour tone through out the film is perfect for this pre-Victorian period, in conjunction with the beautiful scenes, make me believe everything about romanticism. Whenever Fanny’s mother talk about “reality”, I have a feeling that she’s trying to pull me back to reality as well – but fail, like when she’s trying to pull the girl in love back to reality.

The dynamics between the characters are interesting to watch. The relationships between Brown and Keats, Brown and Fanny, the siblings, Keats and his friends, the Brawne’s family and Keats… and of course, Keats and Fanny, are all well developed and put together. The kids and Brown contribute to a lot of amusing moments, which work very well to support the romantic relationship, and make the movie more lively – well, especially for the fact that we all know Keats’ going to die at the end, really need those pieces to light it up. The kids are just acting great.

Ben Whishaw is the perfect candidate for John Keats (although some people say he’s too tall for being Keats). He look extremely thin (so does and Thomas Sangster), in addition to his eyes, well setup for the effeminate and lack confidence properties of this young romantic poet. You just have to love John Keats after seeing the movie, if not the way Fanny does, then in Mrs Brawn or Mr. Brown ways.

One additional thing to note, the clothing. I love pretty and stylish clothing, and that’s what you can see throughout the movie. Seems to me Fanny never wear the same piece for more than five minutes, which is a funny comparison to Mr. Keats, who’s always wearing the same thing from beginning to end. The difference between “a stylish minx” and “an unimpressive poet”, ha.

So, recommended. Not sure when will it hit NZ though, but definitely will.

Bright Star Synosis Page 1Bright Star Synosis Page 2

1 comment:

  1. Here's the first trailer for Jane Campion's Bright Star. I love Abbie Cornish, and I'm glad the film was well-received at Cannes. www.brightstar-movie.com/
    Definitely look forward to checking it out when it opens in theaters this fall

    ReplyDelete