14 November 2009

If you had a year

"If you had a year to live, what would you do?"

Some people may write down a list of things they want to do, some people may say they would behave normal. First thing came up in my mind was commit suicide. Not really because I don't bother to wait, but counting down is such a mental destruction. One year is not long but not that short. It would be too hard to go through 365 days of count down. During that period of time, pessimistic people like me, would have been hurting everyone around me. Why be a nightmare of people for one whole year, if I can die now and give them peace.

Of course, if now I was told I had a year to live, I would probably stay alive - for all sorts of reasons. If I would be staying alive for this one year, I may as well make the best out of it anyway. So maybe I would quit my job and help people as much as I can. I would need to get myself straight into this mood after I had known there's one year, cannot waste time on crying about it or doubting about it.

Well people say you should live everyday as you are going to die soon because none of us know when we'd be gone and it can be tomorrow. It's true that we don't know, but doesn't imply we should live best out of everyday so we are ready to die at anytime. Knowing your date ahead is a completely different mentality. Knowing I may die anytime is different from knowing I am going to die tomorrow. Like buying lotto (and I have never bought one), knowing you may win the lotto is different from knowing I will for sure get $1000 tomorrow: you go on as normal and dream a bit for the previous and plan to do something with the later.

2 comments: