10 November 2009

On my way to airport…

5:10pm I am at Wellington airport now. Yes, I finished early and arrived early, so I am sitting on a chair relaxing with my laptop on my knees, watching this girl with beautiful legs and high heels in front of me, with a large soy milk one sugar latte. Most of the people here are for business, you can tell from their outfits and suitcases. You know, soy milk latte has a special taste, that is… pretty good, I like it. I may switch to soy milk from now on, to avoid this protein shake incident.

Hopped onto a taxi from Wellington city centre. The taxi driver is a Fiji-Indian, he’s born in Fiji. I am not sure how old is he, but I learned the following in about 20 mins: he has five grand children and the youngest one is three months old; one of his daughter passed away when the second kid was 2 years old, and their dad refused to let him see the kids anymore, cost him $17000 on court to get the right to see them again; last year he has family reunion in Fiji, that’s over 300 people, because he has 95 cousins, 49 are dead, but 46 still alive, and they have grandchildren, grand-grandchildren, and grand-grand-grandchildren, well his dad has ten siblings, himself has ten siblings and one of his aunt has fifteen kids; he has come to NZ for 22 years already, and has been driving taxi for 20; he worked in American Airline before, when he got cheap flight tickets all the time and get to fly everywhere, the ticket to NZ cost him $19.50 22 years ago; he missed a flight before, that caused him to stay in that place for a week and extra $750, but he deliberately missed that flight; Hong Kong was one of his favourite places, where he spent $500NZD for two suits with two extra pants, eleven shirts and eleven silvery ties; his wife works in a hospital and has to get up at five every morning…

5:30pm, enter gate, pause.

5:37pm, yes, so I did learn quite a bit about this taxi driver in 20 minutes. At the end I said hope I can see him again next time I visit Wellington, he said hope he can see me again too. I said he probably would forget me by then, he said he won’t… which is a joke I guess, he is a taxi driver who meet at least twenty people a day. Anyway, that’s not the main point.

You may wonder why I mention so many things about this driver, and you probably didn’t finish reading the list because it has nothing to do with you. See how interesting, he has nothing to do with me as well, but we have exchanged so much information in a short ride. I knew so much about him within such a short period of time! I feel very happy, and enlightened. Life is so beautiful, and meeting people, listening to their stories, sharing their lives, are so amazing.

Sad that some people I’ve known of for years, I cannot tell much about their lives, I do not know much. For some people, even I know some things about them, what I know are never anything meaningful. After all, there are people I am not interested to know more about them at all. People interactions, just full of funny factors: there are people you get along with well and very well, but there are people you don’t care much and never think about them when they are away for ages. It’s just sad. Maybe it’s my problem, my attitude, I dislike things or people too easily.

2 comments:

  1. I really like the way you think :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I occasionally think a bit more optimistic than usual, haha.

    ReplyDelete