10 July 2008

Barrier to describing and understanding

I am very poor at describing physical things. For example... hmm, let's pick someone at random, say Kenneth.

Kenneth is quite tall.
hmmm...
He has light skin colour.
hmmmm...
He doesn't wear glasses.
hmmmm...
He has short hair...but not too short.
hmmmm...
hmmmmmmm...
hmmmmmmmmmm...

That's all I can think of.

Let's try something else. Say a bus.

A bus has a rectangle box shape.
hmmm...
It has some wheels.
hmmm...
It has mirrors on two sides.
hmmm...
The bus number and destination are yellow (for Eastern Howick bus again).
hmmm...
There are some buses with 1 door only, some have two.
hmmmm...
hmmmmmmm...
hmmmmmmmmmm...

Doesn't seem to work again.

Let's try something else. Say Mel.

Mel is mainly black. It's white around her neck.
hmmm...
She has four legs and a tail.
hmmm...
If she stands on her four legs, she is about my waist tall, I think.
hmmm...
She sometimes flip her ears depending on her mood.
hmmm...
Her feets are brown and nails are black.
hmmmm...
hmmmmmmm...
hmmmmmmmmmm...

Can you tell Mel is a dog from these description? I guess not.

It is strange that I always have problem with describing how things physically look like since I was much younger. This is the reason why I can never write descriptive paragraphs about things - some real things. On the other hand I have no problem describing emotions or thinkings (at least I understand what myself is trying say), or talking about mental characteristics, or inner properties. In other words I am quite comfortable with describing intangible stuff.

I believe this is one of the biggest reasons why I cannot read English fictions. Because I cannot describe, relatively when I read physical descriptions I cannot imagine. When I am reading Chinese fictions I automatically scheme through physical descriptions quickly without perceiving too much detail. Unfortunately it's not so easy with English stories.

Antithetically, I cannot read any technical books in Chinese. There are too many terms that I cannot understand and my brain always try not to understand. So when I talk about anything work related, even though the conversation may start off with cantonese, very soon it has to be discussed in English. There is no way I can talk about work related or programming stuff in cantonese. Just too hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment