14 March 2011

Deaths

"When you have such a large death toll it is easy to think of them as a number. But each one of these numbers is a person with a family who loved them, and each person must be treated with the utmost respect and dignity"

- Russell Gibson

This guy said this on Christchurch's earthquake. Now it's the Japan's earthquake, which estimated to end up with over ten thousand deaths. Some only concern about the death toll number, some only concern their money, some only concern their trips and shopping overseas... I am not sure what I should have felt and how I felt. However to be honest, I feel sad and ashamed that myself actually felt less sad in this than in Christchurch earthquake. It's not because they keep killing whales, I thought to myself.

Maybe because it's far, and it's not on the TV all day, less impact, less empathy. I feel sad that I don't feel sad enough. Those are human lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment